Tuesday 3 August 2010

html5

Recently the first book on html5 (that I can find anyway) was published. I'm about half way through it and really enjoying having everything that I need to know in one place finally. I've clearly learnt a lot as most of what has been covered so far I have at the very least heard of, if not played with. The stuff that I haven't yet seen is blowing my mind! I'm absolutely in love with this new version of our beloved language, and really glad to see the new tags such as article and section. I can't wait to use these in reality, but for the time being I'll just have to settle with test scripts.

I'm thinking about managing my blog myself, at the very least its a project that I can undertake in order to have a go with these new tags. What is becoming clear to me as I read this book is that my JavaScript skills need to improve massively, very quickly. Although in certain ways there is less of a need for JS, in others (such as the video tag) there is much more need for it. However, the standard has clearly been written to not need JS for those users who cannot or will not use JS whilst browsing. This is good to see.

This book doesn't cover css3, so I've still got to wait for October for books on that. To be honest, that's just fine. People in the community are talking far more about css3 than html5 at the moment so I'm not lacking in resources. I'm also far more motivated at the moment to go hunting css3 down to experiment with than I am with html5.

The book is called Introducing HTML5 by Lawson and Sharp, published by Voices That Matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment